Monique Barnard

Monique Barnard

The police confirmed on Monday morning that the decaying body found in May near the Deelkraal turnoff just outside Lephalale is indeed that of missing Monique Barnard (19). DNA-tests were carried out on the body to confirm whether the body matched Monique’s parents’ DNA. “The DNA results came back last week and we can confirm that the body is definitely Monique’s”, said Warrant Officer Frans Mokoena of the Lephalale police.

He also confirmed that a case of murder was being investigated. The results of the post mortem are not yet known. “At this stage the cause of her death has not yet been confirmed and we are waiting for the pathologist’s report.” No-one has been arrested yet and the police are asking anyone with possible information to get in touch with the Lephalale police. “We are busy questioning a couple of people and hope to make a speedy arrest.” Monique reportedly, after an argument with her boyfriend with whom she lived, walked out of the house in Kameeldoring Street in Onverwacht with her cellphone and a small bag full of clothes.

Earlier that evening her mother, Louise Laubser, had contact with her but when she tried to phone Monique the following morning, the cellphone was switched off. According to Louise the cellphone has not been switched on again. Monique and her mother were regularly in contact with each other and Louise suspected a crime as soon as she could not get in touch with her daughter. About a month after Monique’s disappearance, a passerby found the seriously decaying body of a woman on the Deelkraal turnoff on the R510 and notified the police. At that stage it could not be confirmed that the body was indeed Monique’s because of the state of decay. A police member told the Noordelike Nuus in May that the scene was being fine-combed and that evidence and samples were collected so as to give the police an idea how long the body had lain there and when the possible murder took place.

He indicated that although it might seem that the police were asleep, the public should remember that all those forensic tests and resulting reports would take time. Monique”s mother, Louise Loubser, was not available immediately for comment but on 8 July she placed a message on her FaceBook page, confirming Monique’s death. “With an absolutely shattered, bleeding mother’s heart I want to make it known that Monique (or Monica as she preferred to be known by her friends), my eldest doll, has passed away. In the meantime a girl friend of Monique’s has confirmed that a special funral service will be held on Friday, 15 July at 09h30, at the Moreletapark NG Church in Pretoria.

Source: Translated from Afrikaans

Comments are closed.